Last year in June 24, 2018, I went to an poetry open mic night at the bowery club in NYC to recite “Should I Go To An Open Mic“. It was such a lovely and yet nerve wrecking experience. I have always hated public speaking(especially when my family is around) but I had a few reasons why I decided to overcome my fear and go to the bowery club
Reasons I decided to overcome my fear
1) I was procrastinating for 2 years and being lazy
2) The weekend of June 24 was birthday weekend
3) I need to branch out more and let people hear my poems.
Reasons Why I Was Nervous
1) It was my first time ever performing at an open mic event and I had doubts I wouldn’t be good enough
2) My girlfriend volunteered to come with me to show support and I really wanted to go alone lol.
How I felt After I recited my poem
1) I felt like a super standing when I got a big round of applause from everbody
2) I realized that performing at an open mic event is nothing to be nerevous about.
3) I became more motivated to improve my writing skilss as a poet.
Moral of this post is to let everbody reading this to know that being nervous is nomral. It’s normal to to have doubts. Sometimes we might procrastinate. Sometimes we might make excuses to get out of things. Nobody is perfect but if you really have a dream, don’t nobody stop you from achieving it. Fight your negative thinking and don’t be afraid to fail because being afraid to fail and living in fear could make you regretful for missing out on an life time opportunity.
I don’t know if you will ever read this or not, but I just want to say thank you coming with me to my first open mic experience and supporting me. I thank you for celebrating my birthday last year and being in the crowd, being my biggest cheerleader. Ever since I met you, you always believed in me and saw the best in me. I am here to let you know that because of you I am working harder than ever to accomplish all my dreams and be a provider for you. I love you so much 😁😁